GVC Holdings, the leading global sports betting and gaming group which owns the international brand of bwin and operates in more than 20 countries, has been awarded Safer Gambling Operator of the Year at EGR’s Operator Awards 2020.
The Safer Gambling Operator category featured for the first time in this year’s awards. Twelve operators competed for the award, which was designated as one of the event’s ‘Headline Categories’.
Bwin belongs to GVC Holdings and through the group implements the most strict security protocols. This is reflected in practice through the dozens of checks that are carried out on a daily basis. This award is the greatest recognition of the strategy for safe and responsible gaming, which is fulfilled in Greece and is based around 7 pillars:
- Understanding the problem and best solutions – we have announced a five year, multi-million dollar project with the Division on Addiction, Cambridge Health Alliance, a Harvard Medical School teaching hospital.
- Educating our key stakeholders – including the national rollout of youth education programmes with gambling charities as well as state-school awareness campaigns.
- Promoting responsible attitudes – leading the industry in agreeing responsible marketing campaigns.
- Empowering customers – rolling out ‘markers of harm’ algorithms and additional safer gambling mechanisms for early detection and prevention of problem gambling.
- Funding treatment for those in need – increasing our donation to research, education and treatment on problem gambling tenfold, from 0.1% to 1% of gross gaming revenue (GGR).
- Championing responsible product design – developing more responsible product design principles.
- Drive cultural change within our business – ensuring that a safer gambling approach underpins all aspects of our business.
Bwin also offers all its customers various tools such as deposit, spending and time limits, as well as other options, so that everyone can gamble responsibly. Furthermore, each customer has the right of abstention, temporary or indefinite self exclusion.
“Guaranteeing the highest possible levels of player safety and protection is at the heart of what GVC does. We are therefore delighted to receive further independent recognition of the great work our teams deliver in this area”, commented Grainne Hurst, Group Director of Corporate Affairs of GVC.
“This award fills us with great responsibility. We always want to properly inform our customers, protect their interests and implement the international strategy for Responsible Gaming, following the best possible practices”, added Ioanna Beriou, Director of Sponsorship and Corporate Social Responsibility, representing bwin.gr.
Finally, in the context of Responsible Gaming initiatives, bwin recently launched a new TV advert, starring Kostas Sloukas, bwin’s ambassador for Corporate Social Responsibility.