Βwin proudly presents its annual review of social responsivity actions during 2021.
The fight against Covid-19 continues in a worldwide level and bwin supported the National Health System and vulnerable social groups. At the same time, it supported the Evia wildfire victims, reconstructed 3 sporting courts in rural Greek island and changed the daily life of local children, as well as launching the first Greek corporate campaign to inform the public and raise awareness about the 17 Sustainable Development Goals set by the UN until 2030. But that was not all, as bwin took new initiatives for Responsible Gaming and supported Organizations, Institutions, and people in need.
Bwin Greece, in 2021:
- Completely reconstructed 3 sporting courts with a total area of more that 1200 sq. m. at the Elementary School of Kamariotissa and the Highschool of Samothraki, responding to the requests of the local community towards the Prime Minister of Greece, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, which was communicated through the Government.
- Supported the construction of “Ariadne”, a Residential Home for adults suffering from cerebral palsy, in cooperation with Cerebral Palsy Greece/Open Door in Agios Dimitrios, Athens.
- Renovated the therapeutic pool of ELEPAP and supported programs of therapeutic swimming.
- Created and delivered Christmas and Easter baskets of love to lonely people in Attica and to Institutions and NGOs all over Greece. More than 500 children, young and older people benefited from this action.
- Supported from the first moment the wildfire victims in Greece, through medical mission with “Médecins du Monde”.
- Delivered LED Therapy Light devices for the cure of neonatal jaundice cases in the ICU department for newborn babies and infants to the Children’s Hospital “P. & A. Kyriakou”.
- Donated disposable medical masks to be used to every therapeutic program of ELEPAP and all the Organizations, supported by the Union “Together for Children”.
- Realized the wishes of children, suffering from serious diseases, in cooperation with Make-A-Wish (Κάνε-Μία-Ευχή Ελλάδος) Foundation.
- Donated a portable ventilator, that will be used in intensive care units of Attikon General Hospital.
- Provided the necessary equipment for the new school year to children and young people, supported by ELEPAP and Cerebral Palsy Greece/Open Door.
- Donated a van, which for the fourth year in a row transported food and necessities to families throughout Attica under the guidance of the Union “Together for Children”.
- Supported the feeding program of families, affected financially by the pandemic, in collaboration with the Union “Together for Children”.
At the same time, through the initiatives «bwin Monday Night Game Against Covid-19» and «bwin Tournament against Covid-19», the international betting brand joined forces with Olympiacos B.C. to support social groups, greatly affected by the pandemic, as well as the National Health System, by offering the necessary medical equipment, which included medical disposable masks, antiseptic and disposable gloves in 10 hospitals around the country:
- “General Hospital of Syros “Vardakeio and Proio”
- “Ippokrateio” Hospital of Thessaloniki
- “Metaxa” Cancer Hospital of Piraeus
- General Hospital of Larisa
- General University Hospital of Larisa
- Evangelismos General Hospital of Athens
- “Sismanogleio Amalia Fleming” General Hospital of Athens
- “KAT” – Attica General Hospital
- “Karamandaneio” Prefecture Children Hospital of Patras
- General Hospital of Grevena
Sustainable Development Goals
Bwin launched the first campaign in October 2021 to inform the public and raise awareness on the importance of the 17 Sustainable Goals until 2030, adopted by the UN. The campaign aims to integrate some of these Goals, directly or indirectly, to the society. Protagonists of this remarkable campaign are 18 personalities of social and sports community, as well as executives of bwin’s Greek team.
Bwin became the first betting brand in Greece to adopt the Board Diversity Policy. This proved that bwin and its parent company, Entain plc, are committed to supporting diversity, not only in working spaces but also in the society.
Finally, it’s worth noting that Entain plc is part of this year’s 50 Global Leaders sustainability initiative line-up, showcased on Bloomberg’s global media platform, marking its progress on responsible gaming and ESG (Environment Social Governance). The 50 Global Leaders Campaign shown on Bloomberg’s global platform, highlights work on ESG and sustainability made by leading international companies and specifically highlights the advances made by Entain over the past year in these areas, as well as across other responsibility initiatives.
Bwin, though its parent company Entain plc, applies the most strict safety protocols by running dozens of daily checks. It has developed a costumer-first strategy for responsible gaming with a 5Ps plan to ensure that everyone plays with complete control and, at the same time, continues the campaign to promote responsible gaming with the participation of Kostas Sloukas, Greek national player of Olympiacos B.C.
The international betting brand also proudly supports the initiative launched by the Ministry of Sport against the manipulation of sports competitions. Bwin presented a new dynamic advertising campaign, aiming at informing the public and raising awareness for this important issue. The campaign focuses on the value of fair play, cooperation and the implementation of the provisions set out in the Macolin Concention. Manipulation of sports competitions in one of the greatest threats towards sports and the values it stands for as it undermines the integrity of sports and fair play.
The contribution of bwin’s volunteering team was significant and essential. Over the past year bwin’s team:
- Gathered and delivered more the 1,5 tonne of long-lasting foods along with hygiene kits for children and their families, who have been greatly affected financially by the pandemic, to the Union “Together for Children”.
- Joined the team of “Save Your Hood” in cleaning the pine forest of Schinias in Attica on June 5, when the Environmental Day is celebrated worldwide.
- Participated in blood donations.
Bwin actively supports sports by sponsoring teams (Olympiacos B.C.), European competitions (Turkish Airlines Euroleague, UEFA Europa League, UEFA Europa Conference League), sporting events and individual athletes. The “Team Future: bwin supports the Next Generation of Olympic Athletes” consists of 18 talented athletes, who strive daily to achieve their goals. It’s worth noting, that 6 of these athletes represented Greece in the Tokyo Olympics.
Distinctions and Awards
2021 was on more year, during which bwin was awarded for its social responsibility strategy. These distinctions highlighted in the best possible way the consistency, that the international betting brand is showing when it comes to supporting the society. In detail, bwin:
- Became the first online betting brand in Greece, that is awarded based on the CRI Pass evaluation system by the Corporate Responsibility Institute!
- Won two important awards at the “Hellenic Responsible Business Awards 2021”. The program “Bwin traveled to remote regions of Greece, providing health care services in cooperation with ‘Médecins du Monde’” won the silver award in the category: “Cooperation with NGOs” and the program “Bwin supports the Brave Children of Elepap” won the bronze award in the same category.
- Excelled in two categories at Bravo Sustainability Awards 2021. Bwin won the first award in the category “Bravo in Action” for the program “bwin supports the Brave Children of ELEPAP” and the second in the “Special Bravo Covid-19” category for the “Initiatives to deal with the consequences of the pandemic” program.
- Was honoured by the Nursing Home of Athens for its contribution to the Institution on the occasion of the “International Day of Older People”
Finally, bwin is now one of the key members of CSR HELLAS network. This collaboration aims to exchange views on social responsibility projects, develop even more CSR practices and promote new ideas for the sustainability and improvement of the society.
On behalf of bwin, CEO Ioanna Beriou commented: “2021 was another year that united us to strive for a better society. Bwin continued its long-standing cooperation with established Organizations and Institutions, in order to support people in need and embrace children all over Greece. Fully understanding the benefits of sports, we will continue constructing sporting courts and grounds, as well as supporting sports across the country. At the same time, we will carry on our multilevel activities for vulnerable social groups and areas hit from natural disasters. We do not rest on our laurels and the awards we won this year. On the contrary, these distinctions give us extra motivation and impetus to keep up giving back to the society”.
Bwin, one of the leading and more successful betting brands worldwide, continues to support people in need and the communities, in which it operates. Bwin’s initiatives, part of its corporate social responsibility program, are in alignment with the 17 Sustainable Development Goals set by the UN until 2030, contributing thus to a better and more sustainable future for all.