Bwin published the annual report of its social responsibility program “bwincares” for 2019. Over 27 local communities in every region of Greece benefited from 32 initiatives and actions and over 40,000 children and their families have been supported.
During 2019, bwin supported the work of 14 recognized Institutions, Associations and Foundations, including “Doctors of the World”, the Nation Fire Department”, “ELEPAP, a charity, non-profit association providing rehabilitation services to children”, “Open Door, Centre for the education and rehabilitation of people with cerebral palsy”, “Make-A-Wish Greece” and “Ark of the World” among others. Bwin’s contribution through “bwincares” was significant and a way to give back to society.
“Doctors of the World”
Having the belief that prevention is better than cure and that everyone should have access to public health care, “Doctors of the World”, with the support of bwin, delivered humanitarian missions throughout the Aegean islands in 2019, covering over 1.600 nautical miles and traveling for over 62 hours by boat and plane.
Agios Efstratios (in March), Psara (in September), Fournoi Korseon (in October) and Kastellorizo (in November) were the islands which were selected by the “Doctors of the World”. The doctors provided free medical services to over 600 permanent residents, including various examinations by: Pathologist, Gynecologist, Pediatrician, Dentist, Cardiologist and Ophthalmologist.
Bwin has completed the construction of four (4) sensory processing rooms for children with physical disabilities and neurodevelopmental disorders in Athens, Thessaloniki, Volos and Agrinio over the course of the year and delivered them to ELEPAP.
Also, in Thessaloniki, in December bwin supported the construction of a special playground for all the «brave children» of ELEPAP. Now, they can safely use a crib, a seesaw, a mini-carousel or slide. Even children in wheelchairs can enjoy playing without any obstacles or discrimination.
Union “Together for children”
Bwin provided again practical support throughout the year to all nine (9) Associations & Organizations of the Union “Together for children”.
Through its corporate social responsibility program “bwincares”, bwin supported the work of all nine (9) Associations and Organizations that are part of the Union “Together for children”, providing substantial help to their day-to-day operational needs. Through initiatives and actions, bwin supported over 30.000 children and their families.
Among other things, bwin:
- Supplied the appropriate equipment for the treatment pool area at the “Centre Hara”, for people with special needs.
- Supported sports activities for toddlers for a year at the “Papastrateio Children’s Home” in Athens.
- Supported the rehabilitation program for children living in poverty, who are treated with individual sessions of physiotherapy, occupational and speech therapy. Also, bwin provided special educational programs and counseling to their parents, at the “Hatzipatreio” Institute.
- Supported the “Tree of Life” program of “Merimna”, an organization that supports children and their parents who either cope with life-threatening illness or grieving the loss of a loved one.
- Partially retooled the vocational training laboratory of “Theotokos”, a Foundation for the Protection and Rehabilitation of Children and Young People with intellectual disability.
- Ensured that parents, non-residents of Athens, who live in poverty would be accommodated for as long as their children are hospitalized in Greek capital. This action came to life in cooperation with NPO “Breath – Friends of Children in Intensive Care”.
- Supported the “Syros Marathon” through the participation of the “Run to Change Diabetes” team, which was created by the “Panhellenic Association for the Fight against Diabetes in Youth”.
- Supplied sports equipment for “The Friend of the Child”, a charity association.
- Supported the construction of a new hall for adults with Cerebral Palsy at the “Open Door Centre of Education and Rehabilitation”.
- Gave the opportunity to children, supported by the Union, to participate in July’s basketball camps at “Peace and Friendship” Stadium.
- Donated a van to the Union, in order to provide food and essentials to families in need across Attica.
- Gave the chance to dozens of children, supported by the Union, to attend training sessions of Olympiacos B.C. and get Olympic Sports’ training under the guidance and help of various Greek Olympic Champions, such as Katerina Dalaka (Athletics), Theodora Goudoura (World Fencing) and Konstantinos Mastrogiannis (Karate). They are all members of the program: “bwinners: We support the New Generation of Olympic Champions”.
Finally, as happened last year, bwin’s grand sponsorship program to Olympiacos helped feature the logo of the Union “Together for the children” on Olympiacos’ official team shirt during away games, in countries where bwin is not operating for regulatory reasons.
Supporting the work of “Make-A-Wish” in Greece bwin helped five (5) children to fulfill their wishes, making their dreams a reality. 4-year-old Markos, 3-year-old Nikolaos, 11-year-old John and 12-year-old George now can look to the future with greater optimism.
“Open Door”, Athens Spastics Society
Bwin is one of the major benefactors supporting the construction of a new shelter for 9 adults with cerebral palsy under the name “Ariadne” in Agios Dimitrios, Athens. In the shelter the adults are provided with specialized daily care as well as medical care, psychological support. They are encouraged to live independently and they are able to participate in daily activities.
Ark of the World
Bwin celebrated Christmas by offering meals for 600 children at the premises of the “Ark of the World” organization throughout Greece (Athens, Piraeus, Anoixi, Pogoniani and Konitsa in Epirus, Chios, Volos).
Bwin volunteers contributed to the reduction of food waste, as part of “World Volunteers Day”. Bwin volunteers joined forces with the non-profit organization “We Can” and, under the “No portion of food should be wasted” campaign, were present at the open market of Panormou street in Athens to celebrate “World Volunteers’ Day”. The team of volunteers managed to collect more than 340 kg of fresh fruit and vegetables in just a few hours. The products were offered to the Hospice for Neuro-disability.
National Fire Service
Bwin contributed decisively to the operational needs of the National Fire Department by donating new tires for six (6) fire trucks, in order to become fully operational again. These vehicles operate in Attica and Western Macedonia.
Bwinners – New Generation of Olympic Champions
Bwin is continuously promoting sports in Greece by supporting clubs, European tournaments and individual athletes. The sponsorship program “bwinners: We support the next generation of Olympic Champions” consists of 11 talented athletes, who strive daily to achieve their goals. Currently, qualification for 2020 Summer Olympics has been their priority, a goal which will fulfill their dream of representing the country in Tokyo, at the greatest international sporting event.
“Since the launch of its corporate social responsibility initiatives in 2018, bwin has supported thousands of children in dozens of different communities across Greece. This fills us with great pride. At the same time, it drives us to support even more humanitarian aids for those in need and to keep standing next to the local communities in which bwin is operating”, said Ioanna Beriou, Corporate Communications Director of bwin.