Bwin has developed a new costumer-first strategy with a 5Ps plan to ensure that everyone plays with complete control, while maintaining the excitement of the game at high levels.
Millions of customers around the world bet with Bwin every year — they like the excitement of having a small flutter and the thrill of winning. Betting and gaming are an enjoyable, sociable and memorable way to spend time; that’s why it continues to be so popular. However, unfortunately, for a small percentage of people, gambling ceases to be entertainment and can cause personal, social, financial and even health problems.
It is our responsibility to help our customers gamble safely and responsibly, and reduce the risk of harm and help people who need treatment to get it. We, also, have to help those people to find the treatment they seek. This is why we have developed a new, safer gambling strategy, ‘Responsible Gambling’. The guiding principle of our safer gambling campaign is to be the most trusted and enjoyable betting operator in the world. We are putting customers at the heart of our business by ensuring they are protected from harm while enjoying their regular flutter.
Responsible Gambling – Our Group Policy, based around 7 pillars:
- Understanding the problem and best solutions – Including a 5 year, multi-million-dollar project with the Division on Addiction, at the Cambridge Health Alliance, a Harvard Medical School teaching hospital.
- Educating our key stakeholders – including the national roll out of youth education programmes with the charity GamCare – the largest project of its kind in the UK, as well as a, fully evaluated, state- school awareness campaign with EPIC Risk Management. We also co-fund the GamCare/YGAM youth education programme with other large operators – spanning 4 years.
- Promoting responsible attitudes – leading the industry in agreeing a ban on pre-watershed gambling adverts on television, around live sports (the whistle to whistle ban). We are also the only operator to unilaterally end shirt sponsorship and perimeter boarding in UK football.
- Empowering customers – conducted a full review of our safer gambling tools and making these more visible, easier to use and a more important part of our customer experience, and implementing new tools which include curfews, cooling off periods and maximum limits on slots.
- Funding treatment for those in need – first to announce a commitment to donate 1% of our Gross Gambling Yield (GGY) by 2022 to research, education and treatment (RET). The rest of industry has since followed our lead and committed to do the same by 2023.
- Championing responsible product design – developing more responsible product design principles.
- Driving cultural change within our business – ensuring that a safer gambling approach underpins all aspects of our business. In the UK we partner with EPIC Risk Management to provide Responsible Gambling training to our colleagues.
Bwin offers all its customers various tools, like daily, weekly and/or monthly deposit, loss and session limits tools, as well as other options, so they can be able to play responsibly. Every costumer has the option to take a temporary break from gaming at any time or even choose to exclude himself indefinitely.
At the same time, bwin ensures that persons under the age of 21 are excluded from gambling by running identification checks which can require copies of various documents and meets the highest security standards in the industry, with a five-level security system, multiple firewalls, and 256-bit SSL encryption to protect every costumer’s account. Early-warning systems in the form of limits on unusually high stakes and winnings prevent manipulation and other criminal activities at an early stage.
We, at bwin, believe that fun should go side by side with responsibility. That’s what makes us true supporters of responsible gaming.